Monday, June 6, 2011

With a little help from a friend...

I barely made the deadline to apply for a hunting license.

By barely, I mean 30 minutes before the clock struck midnight barely. My friend Kennie called and said, "Just calling to remind you today is the last day to apply for a license". Say WHAT?! I guess I figured I would be getting an email, phone call or I'd see it in the paper.

Apparently the DOW doesn't advertise things like that.

I have no idea what season I applied for but I do know I applied for an Elk tag because Kennie told me I did. :)

After I submitted the application J said, "Well, what will you shoot?" I replied, "My 22. The same gun I go prairie dog shooting with." He laughed. Apparently you need a bigger gun to kill an Elk.

Whatever.

Don't worry, I'm being honest with myself. The chances of getting picked in the draw are slim to none. If I do get lucky and actually get a license the chances of seeing an Elk are even more slim. Let's take this even further and say that even if I get a tag and see an Elk the likelihood of being able to actually pull the trigger.... you get the picture.

I figure if I do get lucky, but don't get see and catch shoot an Elk I'll get one heckuva workout hiking those mountains, it's a win-win!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . .
This post has been sitting as a DRAFT in my Blogger Dashboard for months. I don't know what I was waiting for to hit PUBLISH, but since writing the first half I've received the Draw Results.

Drumroll, please.

I was successful in the Big Game Limited License Draw Results! I have no idea what the hell that means, but I know I got an Elk tag! I also know it's a private land tag so this means I can sit in our "backyard" and wait for an Elk to come to me. Hopefully.
NO HIKING REQUIRED!

Ladies and gents, be sure to wear your hunter orange this season because this city girl is a-goin' huntin!
Still dreaming big...
You can read about my first steps before applying for an Elk tag by taking my Hunter Safety class  here and here. There is a gun wound involved. ;)

6 comments:

gin said...

How exciting! My dad goes elk hunting in Cortez every October...maybe I'll hitch a ride with him this year and he can drop me off at the ranch... :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations - def. the luck of the draw for an elk tag! My brother-in-law guides and hunts elk in and around Gunnison! Good Luck!

Nancy said...

For the past ten years, I've been buying my husband's deer tag online with great success. However, this year, they moved the application date, and we missed it. By about 3 days. Boooo!

City Life to Ranching Wife said...

Gin - Yes! What fun that would be. We'll camp out with a good book and some warm drinks! :)

Jent - I should buy a lotto ticket now, right?

Nancy - Bummer!! I was so lucky to have my friend give me a call!

Unknown said...

Congratulations... and Good Luck to you! My husband won a bull elk archery tag for a New Mexico hunt through the Huntin' Fool magazine! He's pretty much guaranteed a big bull, so long as his arrow hits the target, no pressure with a magazine photog over your shoulder! LOL Can't wait to hear how your hunt goes!
www.durrerce.blogspot.com

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

Good Luck! I can't wait to hear all about your hunting expedition from your back yard!