Friday, October 8, 2010

Worse Shape Than Sheep!

A week after running with the sheep, er, I mean, sheep trailing the pain has subsided and my legs are working again. Thank goodness!

Last week I mentioned we were bringing the sheep off the mountain and back to the ranch. Let's just say I unintentionally ran/walked a half marathon on Sunday. No one told me the sheep would run for the first few miles and keep a fast paced walk the whole time. It wouldn't have been a big deal if I wasn't in worse shape than the sheep and if I didn't have to stay ahead of 2,000 of them! That's a lot of pressure!
J drove the truck and this trailer behind the sheep.

After mile 3ish, the sheep started to slow down. I took this time to catch my breath and take in my surroundings. It's really beautiful in this part of the country. While on my (power) walk I thought of lyrics to a song I heard recently, If God wasn't born in Colorado, I'm sure he spends most of his time here. 


While walking down the highway, flagging oncoming traffic to let them know there view is about to look like this:

Deer would stop to check me out. Once they realized I was just an out-of-shape female they continued to eat their greens.  Horses in nearby pastures ran up to the fence to see what was going on and what all the baa-ing was about. Cows began moo-ing as the sheep passed and dogs barked and barked. It was as if they were talking to each other it felt like I was in an episode of Babe.

Around mile 12 I saw the open fence at the ranch. It was open and ready for the sheep! It was so neat to see all of the sheep file onto the green grass and eat. It's as if they knew they were home. These animals live such a great life.

Flagging was fun and I've already (been) signed up for next year. I'll make sure I'm better prepared.

Saturday 1pm


Everybody is home! Sunday 1pm
Happy everyone made it home safely,
A Rancher's Wife

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Way to go! Success on your first big sheep move! Can I sign up for next year? I want to do a half marathon ahead of sheep with you!