Thursday, June 2, 2011

Here's to another great weekend!

This post is a little late. It was a busy week!

What a wonderful and relaxing weekend we had last week.

This time of year things slow down for a little while so it's a perfect time to garden. Most all the sheep have delivered (except for about 5) and majority of the sheep and their babies are up at the windmill.

Friday I began tending to my very first garden! J's mom and sister made these garden beds last year and I'm excited to use them this year!

My mother-in-law is quite the gardener so when she mentioned starting a garden at our place I was a little intimidated. After pulling all the weeds and tilling the garden it seems like I might be able to handle it.

I also mowed a lawn for the first time in my life. How funny is it that I mow my first lawn while living on a SHEEP ranch? Why not let the sheep eat it, right? Well, apparently they are picky eaters and don't like the long grass that was filling up our yard. We'll keep them in the yard now that it's at a nice length for them.

Another fun thing that happened is J's vines arrived!

He has planted a (very small) vineyard. How fun is that?!
Jigs is pretty excited.  Even though we will keep her far, far away from the grapes when the vines start to raisin.
I think it will be great hobby for him. How he will find the time to tend to these vines, I have not a clue.
How he will keep the pain-in-the-butt goats from eating them, not a clue about that either. Just today he told me the sheep trampled all over them. oops! We are off to a great start.

Also, this past Friday evening we had surprise visitors! Our good friends, Lisa and Thor (yes, that is his real name) drove down from the Boulder area for the weekend! Apparently everyone knew and they wanted to surprise me so when I heard knocking in the middle of the night I was a little taken back.

Good thing I don't sleep with a loaded gun by my bed. ;)

We did some shooting out in the back, spent some time on our good friend's houseboat and celebrated a birthday.  We had a delicious breakfast at the new diner in town and enjoyed a few cold drinks. 
This is Thor. Yes, he is pretty bad a**.
This is Lisa (and Jigs).
I've said it before and I'll say it again...we have some pretty awesome friends in our life.

Here's to another great weekend! What are your plans this weekend?

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh good luck with the garden and the grapes! can't imagine keeping sheep out of either! :) looks like you had a great surprise!

Nancy said...

We have about 30 grape vines and once you get them to take, there's not much to do but prune in the winter. What kind did you get?

City Life to Ranching Wife said...

Hi Nancy! He planted Marquette, Noiret, Corotnoir, La Crescent, Frontenac and Frontenac Greece. What kind do you have?