Sunday, August 8, 2010

Signed,
A Rancher's Wife

We always knew there was a possibility we would be given the opportunity to take over Pop's* ranch someday. We weren't expecting it to happen this way or this fast. 

On the day we learned Pop was ill we knew what we had to do. J* gave his two weeks notice the very next day, I gave mine the following week and here we go. 

J left this morning and I'm here beginning to write our story. It's amazing that our whole lives fit into the back of a horse trailer. We packed everything and sent it to the ranch. I'll admit I cried as J drove away and I cried even harder when I walked into our empty home. Today is when it finally hit me. We are moving. To the country. Our lives are about to drastically change. 

I have an airbed, my clothes, toiletries and a camping chair and some awesome friends that have had me over for dinner and some TV. I knew I should have at least kept the TV. Oh and I have my laptop can't forget the laptop. I'll be here for 2.5 more weeks finishing my duties at my current job then I will drive south and meet J at our new home. 

I've already taken a job in the nearest city and I thought finding employment would make me less nervous, less stressed. It hasn't. I'm just as nervous and stressed as I was the night we decided to make this move.

It's going to be a huge lifestyle change for me. Huge. No big malls, fancy restaurants (which will probably be good for the waistline), the anonymity that comes with living in a big city. I definitely won't have the luxury of flying home as much as I do now. I won't have the hustle and bustle of the city or have to deal with the rat race. I know some people would LOVE to rid those things from their lives but I honestly kind of enjoy it. Those things makes me feel successful in some weird way. 

So what will I have? Peace, quiet, the ability to catch my breath. We'll have a yard and 160 acres of open space. I'll be able to get the dog I've wanted for years. I'll be able to experience what J had growing up and the community that contributed to making him who he is today. I'll have lots and lots of furry animals around. I think I may even get some chickens - just for kicks! Most importantly I will have my husband to lean on when times get tough. I'll have the promises we made to each other and the support of our family and friends. 

So what am I so afraid of? Well, I'll be honest. Living in a small town on a ranch isn't exactly what we planned for our life, but I DO know that we don't live by our plans. God made that very clear to the both of us years ago. I'm afraid of Failure. Change. Starting over in a new city town. I'm afraid of the unknown. Living here in the city, working our 8-5 jobs is accepted. It's expected. It's easy. 

Some of our friends think we are courageous, some think we are crazy and we very well may just be. We think to to pass up an opportunity like this would be crazy. To ignore our family's call for help would be crazy. To let Pop's 20 years of hard work be sold off would be crazy.

I've started this blog to share with you this experience. I've always been a private person, I am going to open up a little and share with you our story while on this new adventure! 
 
Signed,
A Rancher's Wife
 
*J is my husband
*Pop is my father in law

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great way to start off our new adventure Bub! This will be quite the epic story.
J*

Anonymous said...

dear ranchers wife: you're right, small townlife is very different from what the city has to offer. however, the peacefulness of nature and the solidarity in friendships of countrylife is invaluable. i too moved to the country, to the wide open spaces where mountains are white-capped most of the year, that the love of my life has so many memories in. my adjustment to the country life has been slow, but its happening! the very moment i knew i was in the right place at the right time was when i woke up one morning with the sun rising and there he was...the love of my life already awake looking out of our bedroom window. in a split second i saw his happiness, his memories, his look of 'this is where i was meant to be'. and it all made sense to me. i knew from that moment on i was going to pour my heart and soul into making this country house our home forever...best of luck to you, ranchers wife, in finding your moment.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to follow your blog so I won't have to miss my friend so much. You know I have always supported this decision, and think it will be a great change for you both. Anytime you are feeling down about your move, just come back to this first entry and read the end, and hopefully that will help you realize all over again why you are doing this. You will adjust fine, and you always have a place to stay back here in "the city". Can't wait to come visit you!

Erin

Dad said...

I have been so proud of you for the many things you have accomplished in your life. The many things you do reminds me of my youth. I too had a tenacity about myself, to challenge myself do the things that are not easy but hard. And enjoying the rewards that go along with the thought of knowing that you have succeded. Like everyone says "your so much like your dad" this couldn"t be so true. You and J will accomplish this task that both of you are set on doing. Remember to stay loyal, honest and truthful towards each other no matter what obstacles might get in your way. Your marriage is so very strong and because of this your new venture along with the bond you both have towards each other will grow even so more. Your marriage is not 50/50 but 100%/100%. Remember God gave you the best he could of giving you and God gave Jesse the best he could give him. Stay Loyal, it's important.
Love both of you....Dad/Dad in law

crystal.cattle said...

I can't wait to go through you blog read rest of the story. I think it is extremely noble and exciting that you are two young people that moved back to the ranch. You don't hear about that happening very often nowadays.

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com