Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mutton Mondays - Sheep Sense

Today's Mutton Monday post is about sheep's senses and is pretty basic, but I found some of this stuff to be pretty interesting and I learned a thing or two.

Vision.
While I knew sheep depend heavily on their vision I didn't know they have excellent peripheral vision and can see behind themselves without turning their heads.

Color Perception.
Sheep can also percieve colors. Who would have thought?! I also learned that sheep will be fearful to new colors. This explains why they are always running away from me. Not really, but I will keep that in mind the next time I want to wear a bright pink shirt out.



Smell.
I did know that they have a great sense of smell and use this to find water. Sheep can also distinguish different predators smells which I thought was interesting. It definitely makes sense since they really have no other means of defense (if you don't count the guard dogs).

Hearing.
I also knew that sheep have excellent hearing. The bummers can hear J walking out to feed them in the dark of night the second his feet hit the concrete.

Taste.
Sheep are picky eaters. Plain and simple. J will throw 7 bales of hay and they will go from bale to bale to choose what they think is the best one.

Touch.
Obviously sheep's wool gets in the way when they interact with other sheep. However, bodily contact is important between lambs and their mothers. One way lambs interact with their mothers is through the nuzzling and suckling action. When lambs sleep they will always be close to their mother as well.


Here's two of my favorite photos taken this weekend with our new camera!







1 comment:

omundsen said...

hooray for new camera!!! :-D