Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mutton Mondays - Spread the word of ag.

Colorado's agriculture industry generates approximately $20 billion annually and provides more than 100,000 jobs and Colorado's lamb industry is the 9th largest commodity in Colorado. It's no wonder more and more people are paying attention to the industry and asking where their food comes from.

We need to keep this trend going as far as I'm concerned.

I love the The American Farm Bureau Foundation's attempt to spread the word of ag to the younger generation. The AFBF has launched an online interactive game called My American Farm.


Prior to meeting my husband I honestly thought large ranches were only in the movies since in my hometown all we had were small dairies. Heck! I didn't even know that people could make a living from raising animals and/or crops until I met my in-laws.

Ask any farmer and rancher and they will all agree the goal in their community is to educate, educate, educate and what greater way to educate our younger generations than through the online environment. Although I'm new to the ranching lifestyle I can say confidently that the industry would love to have more young farmers and ranchers choose to get into the industry so in 40 years the hard work put in by past and present farmers/ranchers doesn't fade off into the sunset. That would be a shame.

The online game is a great tool for educators, students, and families. Even though there are age suggestions for each game I had fun while playing and learned a thing or two!

You can visit and play My American Farm here.
Have a wonderful week! 


No comments: